Monday, July 19, 2010

You--Two Weeks

Two weeks!
Already? And yet...is that all?
It feels like you've been here for ages on one hand and on another, it's been about a minute.

You're sleeping peacefully now which is how I've managed to sneak down to the computer without you screeching for me to come back.

You're a little bit of a mama-addict currently.
All Mama, All The Time.
It's endearing yet maddening.
I need to do things like brush my teeth and gee, I don't know...eat.
Your mama radar is off the chain, child, as you seem to sense the minute I leave your side.
Most times.
But this time, I got away!  :)

Today has been my first day home alone all day long with the five of you.
It's been a juggling act, to put it lightly, but I'm alive and so are you and your siblings so the day is chalked up as a success in the end.
Is it sad that my standards are at that point?
Reality, baby.

Let me tell you about you...

You have this torturous sleep pattern right now--good night, heinous night, good night, heinous night.
I'm not sure what that is all about but I hate it A LOT and would like to eliminate the "heinous night" from the routine ASAP.

You no longer make a total mess of us when eating.  My milk letdown is no match for you now--you have conquered Mt. McBooby.  I was drowning you for awhile and you'd just give up and look at me while milk sprayed all over the both of us but not any more.  You're a milk champ, not a chump.  And I no longer have to change my clothes after every feeding.

Your favorite way to sleep is on my tummy and I have to admit that I love it, too.
It makes me think that it reminds you of "Home" because you are so peaceful there against my warm body, listening to my heart beating and feeling me breathing.
I'll nurse you until you fall asleep and let go and then slide you down to my belly and you just sigh and snuggle into me.
I hold you all night long.
It's the most fantastic of things in my life right now.

You have your first diaper rash and it's not my fault.
You poop like ALL the time; I can't keep up with you!
I'm sorry about the rash--we're working on it.

You're also really flaky these days; I noticed it this morning.
Your feet were peeling over the weekend but today it's on your tiny belly.
Are you molting???
I'll warm some olive oil tonight and give you a massage.
You're two weeks old--you deserve it.

You're awake much more than just a week ago but are still in that newborny coma state.
Part of me wishes I'd have used the time to get done some of the things that I need to get done.
But I know I've used the time in the best way possible.
I want you to know that for these past two weeks, I have tried to devote every minute to you that I could, pulling on Emily and Daddy to run the house and everyone else.
I won't be able to do this much longer; in fact, the amount of time we've nested today has been incomparable to the amount in a "normal" day since you've been born.
But it's been important to me to give you as much of me as I could here in the beginning.
You're going to have to learn to share and you're going to have to learn it quick but I have loved every minute of our "babymoon" together.
I will cherish those days and that's not something I'm just writing because it sounds good.
I will truly cherish the time we spent up there together in near solitude--it was really special to me.

I've logged incountable hours staring at you, memorizing your every bit, your every tiny piece.
You have your Daddy's ears--all you kids do.
I think you will have blue eyes as well.
I was hoping for my greens but I think he's trumped me again.
They'll be beautiful no matter what color they are.

Though you have a full head of dark hair, there are bits of blond coming in.
Everyone but Chas has been born with dark hair, only to have it fall out and return very light in color.
Your hair is jacked, sweet girl.
Chas says it "looks like Dad's but with a mullet."
I wanted to trim you straight away after that comment but I've let your cute little Daddy Mullet be for now.
You and I suffer from Bed Head Syndrome though I have to say that yours is WAY worse than mine. 
We wake up in the morning and I say, "Good morning, sweet girl...YIKES, your hair is a disaster!"

You have mere wisps of eyebrows and eensy weensy eyelashes.
I think they are the most adorable things I've ever seen.

You are identical, and I mean identical, to your sister as an infant.
I will not be able to tell your baby photos apart in years to come.

I'm loving having a baby in the house again.
I do miss some of my "available" time where I don't have a wee barnacle attached to me constantly but I wouldn't trade a second of it for the world.
I love you so much already--it's like you've been mine all along.

Happy Two Weeks!

Love,
Mama