Thursday, July 8, 2010

You--Day Three

I'm so behind in Your Story but I have to just jump in here or I never will.
I'll catch up later.

You're here!
And oh my, you are better than imagined.
Though I'm STILL trying to figure out how you're only a very scrawny six pounds.
And here I thought we'd be pushing at least nine!

Interestingly, both Daddy and I love your tinyness.
He said the other day, "I've missed this.  These tiny ones."
As you well know by now,  Creux came out looking like a toddler so it's been very sweet to have itty bitty you around.

And you're a GIRL!
Haha!
Oh, it's so thrilling to me, another daughter.
Truly, I didn't care as I knew Creux would be super delighted by an ornery little sidekick and we're a good family for little boys but my heart just saaaaang when I finally held you, knowing finally who you were.

I remember with Greer, I felt this overwhelming gratitude of "getting a girl" because I sort of believed in my heart that I'd have a family of four little boys.
But I didn't feel that with you.
Your gender, oddly, was removed from the situation and perhaps it was because it was such a dramatic, high emotion delivery.
Honestly, once you were in my arms, I do remember Daddy announcing your gender but I could not have cared less in that moment.
I was just so grateful that you were there, safely, perfect as could be, breathing fine, crying hard, needing mama.
Plus, I was so grateful that the wicked nurse on my right was soon to vanish.
(HORRID woman.  I'll give you all the juicy gossip later.)

All that being said, HOLY PINK!
There is pink just pouring into this house and it is wonderful!

You are an amazing baby.
You sleep great, going 4-5 hours at night which I REALLY appreciate.
You are so pleasant--though you aren't afraid to speak up and be unpleasant.
I love that in a girl.

As far as eating goes, you are a "snacker." 
You like to have one breast and then a small nap.
Then a few yowls and the other. 
Then a big nap.
This is a big change for me as the last time I did this, I felt like Creux came out with a fork, a knife and a bib, ready for the chowdown of his life.
EVERY TWO HOURS.
But you?
You're a sipper, so easy to please.

In the short while you've been here, you've learned a few things.
It took you a day but I finally managed to convince you that the boobs were your friends.
Now you're a little bit of an addict but that's okay.

Not only that but you've learned that I will give you comfort AND food, both found in the same place--my arms.
(Okay, and my chest.)
Daddy can be holding you and you'll be squawking a bit and when I speak from across the room, you'll turn in my direction and open your tiny mouth, like a baby bird, rooting for me.
I can't get into bed fast enough!

You snore.
And this might be one of my favorite things about you.
Last night, both Daddy AND you were snoring away and I couldn't sleep a bit!
I must admit that I find your snoring charming and his quite irritating--too bad for him, huh?

You've had two home exams so far and appear to be doing marvelously.
Your lungs are clear, heart sounds good.
A touch of jaundice but that's all.

As for me...

My "birth high" wore off today and I crashed hard.
The past two days have been like a party in our nest--I've felt so good!
But I struggled last night sleeping--my milk had come in and it came in a big way, enough for that ten pound baby I was expecting.
And you, you were only interested in snacking so I went to bed in a fair amount of misery but miraculously over-night, my body adjusted and I felt much better today.

I haven't slept in so long though.
Not only was my sleep bad when pregnant with you but the whole last weekend, long after my water broke, my days began between 5 and 7am and were incredibly stressful, ending past midnight.
(Um, with NO BABY.)
And THEN I had a baby!
It's been a draining week, to say the least.

So today, I was almost drugged with fatigue and you and I snuggled all afternoon long.

I was able to spend some of my time watching you sleep and while I did, you would occasionally stir.
And in those stirrings, do you know what I saw?
I saw all of the movements you made in-utero, the little leg extensions and the slight squirms that were such a mystery to me back then.
I could see them today and could recognize the movements, knew what they felt like "on the inside."
I'll be sad when I no longer can, when your movements are all new, and when my pregnancy is just a distant memory.

But for now, I am so glad you're here.
We all are--this entire house is crazy for you.
I've been careful to keep that loving kind of crazy at bay as much as possible but someone is ALWAYS at my door looking to see if you're up or if I'll let them climb into bed and hold you.

Loved, loved, loved.

Welcome home, baby Luxe.
We've been "expecting" you :)

Love,
Mama