Saturday, July 3, 2010

5:39pm

Nap was a success! 
I'm not as keyed up as I was this morning so I was more able to settle myself.
Plus, I'm tired.
Your mama is not accustomed to waking with the birds.
(Who, ironically, are alive and chatty at 5:00am.)

I just got off the phone with Abby--I called to update her and get a little info on how we'll proceed if you don't start moving things soon.

She said that labor will usually begin within 24 hours on its on but that in a hospital setting, they would likely only give me 12....which would be now for us.
The reason for this is the higher risk of infection to us since now, you are not totally closed off from the world anymore.
The difference in MY case is that no one is messing around near you.
Whereas in a hospital, I would be checked internally every so often, thereby upping my risk of infection, here, there's nothing going on.
If someone were poking around, they would probably help to quicken my labor by either further tearing the bag or opening my cervix.
This is precisely what happened to me with Creux as I wasn't contracting with him until after my first internal exam.
Things moved fast from that point on.

She stated that if I am uncomfortable waiting, we should proceed in that direction--there are things we can do to jumpstart this.
But I said I was willing to at least wait until morning.
I just feel like I've gone this far in trusting my body and I KNOW I can and will spontaneously go into labor on my own so I feel like another 12 hours isn't going to hurt either of us.
She told me to continue to eat and drink and again (at the start of our conversation) asked if I'd slept which is just now starting to roll around in my head significance-wise (am I about to start a marathon?  why is sleep so stinking important all of a sudden?)

I am not in pain, I'm having sporadic contractions so maybe (hopefully) those are working for us even though they aren't regular, it's a gorgeous evening and I feel like...soaking it up.
I know the end is near--will be tomorrow at the latest--so all of my frustration has evaporated and I'm left just enjoying the last little bit of this whole you-and-I thing right now.

I sure would love to not go into labor in the middle of the night.
But I'm letting you drive for the next 12 hours anyway so...I'll know when you're ready, right?

Loving you already,
Mama (who is anxious to hold you soon)