Sunday, August 8, 2010

You--Four Weeks, Six Days

I went shopping for you the other day--my first time out buying things for "you" and not "mystery baby you."
I remember with Greer thinking...wait, what's my girl style? 
I mean, what do I like baby girls in?
I'd just been in boy mode for eight years and whenever I shopped for friends who had baby girls, I always bought gorgeously impractical dresses.
But everyday wear?
I had no idea.

I figured things out quick but for you, I'm a bit less In The Pink Box.
EVERYTHING Greer wore was pink.
And pretty girly.

But we're not really a super girly family, I've come to realize.
Even your names aren't terribly girly.
Memaw dropped a few comments here and there pre-your birth-- "Pick a pretty name," she'd say.
She thought you were a girl all along.
And she said this twice that I can remember (though it was probably more--I am just really super good at tuning her out.  Don't grow up and do this to me, however.  Besides, I'm difficult to ignore.  I really am.) because she likes names like "Alexandra" and "Adrianna"...those types of names.
I started liking your name right around this time (which is also a boy name, by the way) and would just snicker to myself.
I know my style.  Memaw, not so much.

Anyway, I found this shirt that I would NEVER have gotten for Greer back when she was a babe because it's less feminine and more hip.
It's a play on "AC/DC", the rock band.
But the shirt says "AB/CD" and has a guitar on the front.
I thought it was so cute!
But it's did sort of occur to me that though you and Greer look a lot alike, already you're parented differently.
My guess is that you'll be a bit more rough and tumble because we'll be more open to that for you.
With her, I was so desperate for some girl stuff and girl moments and pink, pink, pink, and to finally have a daughter that it took me some time to really let her be her.
But now we know her.
She's girly with grit.
And I think that's a beautiful combination.
Whoever you are, whatever combination you choose, I know I'll say the same thing.

It's morning here now and we just came downstairs, me and you.
We usually are the last two out of bed (not counting Chas who is in full-on teen mode these days) and we met Creux in the hallway.
He was going on and on about wanting his clothes and someone waiting for him before going outside and he was absolutely screaming his words at top Creux volume which is positively ear-shattering.
And I spoke softly to him, trying to bring him down 875 notches without harping on him, and when I looked at you, cradled in my arms, you were smiling up at me.

One of the very best things in the whole wide world is to be able to make someone beam from (tiny, adorable) ear to (tiny, adorable) ear just from the sound of your voice.

Thanks for starting my day off so sweetly.

Love,
Mama