Saturday, August 14, 2010

Five Weeks, Five Days

BED HOG!
You, tiny little you, are a massive mattress piggy.
Every night I find myself literally hugging the edge of the bed.
And what's worse, unlike the older kids, who I could shove right over without a second thought on the matter, YOU I would have to put back to sleep so I don't dare touch you.
Ohhhh, but I want to.

And if you keep this business up, missy, I'm going to commission your daddy to build you your OWN nest.
(By commission, I mean "order.")

We sleep mostly side by side now, turned toward each other.
You are a side sleeper, besides being a migrator.
You just prefer tilting a bit to me and I do the same to you--it's just very cozy.

Although...I wake every night with some part of my upper body fast asleep.
Meaning, it feels dead because I've wrapped it over you or next to you or above you or under my own body when you steal all of the extra bed space and I'm left with so little that I have to become smaller just to stay IN the bed.
I am so still when I sleep with you that I never move.
I think maybe that's just part of co-sleeping--the instinctive mama part.
People always say, "How do you know you won't roll over on her?"
Because I know.
Because even in my sleep, I'm totally aware of you.

It's important to say, and maybe I've already said it, but I don't necessarily feel the same way about your daddy.
He sleeps differently--too hard and too aggressively.
I've noticed that IF I do move, I take great care to not even ruffle the sheets.
Whereas he will just haul himself up, flip over, and come crashing back down like there's no one else around.
It's maddening.
And I will hiss at him, "BE CAREFUL!  If you wake her, I swear you are taking her."

Not that I don't want you, dear.
But I work hard to get your little heiney to sleep at night and I don't think he often realizes HOW hard I work at it because he's usually snoring :)

This is also on my mind to make sure to tell you because I'm anxious to see what happens for sure but...
Darling, you've had the WORST baby hair EVER around here.
I didn't quite know what was going on at first but it would just literally stand on end, sticking straight up in the air.
But that was because it wasn't quite long enough to CURL yet!

All of this new hair you have is coming in as super, super curly--are you going to have wild ringlets???
Greer has naturally curly hair as well which is just BEYOND strange to me because mine has always been so poker straight, especially as a young girl.
But Greer had curls when she was tiny and they sort of went away for a bit, re-emerging now as beautiful waves on top and tight little ringlets underneath.
I think you're going to be the same way but curlier!

Your eyes are blue FOR SURE.
I know "they say" that eye color takes six months to fully develop but it's quite obvious that you have those Martin blues, just like three of your other siblings!

And you're growing like a weed.
I think you're in the midst of a really big growth spurt right now.
You're appetite has picked up, you've definitely called up more milk reserves, and when you sit up, you have the beginning of chubby cheeks.
I use that term lightly because you will probably never have what most people would consider any bit of baby chubbiness but for YOU, (and me and Chas and Greer) it's about the best you're going to get.
(Though  I do hope you'll grow a bit of cellulite.  I LOVE baby fat.  Thighs and tushies are my WAY fave.)

Love you, love you.

Mama