Tuesday, June 15, 2010

36 Weeks, 3 Days

Your clothes are laundered and are waiting for you in my room.
I've got diapers and wipes and nursing cloths stashed away in various places around the house so that when you come, I've got everything I need everywhere.

Even if you take your sweet time getting here, it's only about a three week wait.
I can do three weeks.
Surely I can.
Sometimes I don't think I can do three more minutes but that's fleeting.

Part of me can't wait for your arrival and another part of me...is sad to see you go.
Despite all of the "hardships," I love being pregnant and I will miss your company.
I will miss our quiet and private existance together.
Once you arrive, you are everybody's baby.
Right now, you are mine.

The midwives were here tonight and we're all set for your birth day.
We know what to do and it's only a matter of waiting now for your cue.
"Lay low until Saturday," they told me.
I will.
I'm anxious but not overly so.
Not yet, anyway.

You're facing the wrong way, my love, so you need to flip around for me.
Tonight when Abby felt you, she thought for a minute that you were positioned breech which would NOT be a good thing.
But after a long baby massage, it was determined that you weren't, your head is just deep down and facing backwards, making it hard to feel.
If you are born this way, it's okay--it's just that the widest part of your head will come through first and that's not ideal for your mama.
Chas did this to me and I paid dearly.
But having had so many babies, I'm counting on my body to help us out if you don't turn.

Abby said, "Well, this could be a good thing for you.  It will likely slow the birth."
But I don't want to slow your birth.
I want it to go fast.
Though she hasn't said it, I think she's worried that I might go too fast.
She reminded me again tonight, "I want advance warning.  AS SOON AS YOU THINK, call me."

So give me some warning, okay?
No waking me in the middle of the night suddenly, bound and determined to make an entrance five minutes ago like your sister did.
We're ready for you but would like to NOT be the only hands on deck when it's show time.

Mama's tired.
I just wanted to jot you a quick note to say...I love you and am thinking about you constantly these days.
And I can't wait to meet you.

Loving you already,
Mama